Blog Hashtag One

I have learned the difference between an allergy and an intolerance. You see, I'm a "lactard", which is just a hip new word for someone who is lactose intolerant. The difference between these conditions are as follow; For me it starts with a bit of bloating (usually after the barista at Starbucks gets my order wrong), then the gurgling and rumbling in my stomach, continued by the cramps; these possibly alleviated when the gas begins. Here's where it gets tricky, I have an extremely limited amount of time to map out my exit and find the nearest bathroom. You must wonder how i would be able to distinguish and allergic reaction to the previous scenario? My sister is allergic to bees, green tea, and mint. You could imagine how we found those out.
What guides me into the direction of giving to much personal information? It's in order to gain more knowledge about other food related symptoms regarding my own inability to digest such delicacies.

I present to you an informal self-diagnosis: I am red-meat intolerant. Now, I can accept the fact that this information might be completely bogus, however its a topic I look forward to exploring. In order for me to have arrived to this conclusion is based on my similar symptoms relating to when i consume dairy products: Abdominal pain and cramps, bloated, excessive gas,and vomiting or nausea. This i have documented in food diaries where after consuming a burger, steak, lamb chop, or bacon, have resulted in some painful memories.

This guides me onto the second topic in this journey, regarding the role of nutrition in the culinary world; Its cases like this, and other food related illnesses that will strengthen that role in the future. Food is what nurtures our bodies, and its through those nutriments that we may remain healthy. It is nutrition that will give the information based on facts and research to inform the consumer, which in turn will allow us to make choices for our own well being and benefit. 

Last but not least, when informing yourself about diets & nutrition, reference credible websites with a polished reputation. For example,  World Health Organization and any university or hospital website. Confirm the credibility of the authors and editors by establishing their qualifications. Always chose a currently dated site. Regarding other blogs that might not be reliable sources would for example by this one, i do not have a doctorate or a PhD in nutrition or whatsoever. Stay informed, and stay nourished. Cheers!



Comments

Popular Posts